The US Department of Defense (DoD) AIMS Program Office has awarded Sagetech Avionics’ MX12B micro Mode 5 Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) transponder the DoD 17-1000 Mark XIIB certification. This newly certified transponder enables NATO and allied militaries to deploy Mode 5 IFF capability on small drones, protecting the warfighter against rapidly increasing unmanned threats from enemy forces.
According to a Sagetech press release, the new MX12B is among the smallest certified Mode 5 IFF transponders, delivering 100% of the Mode 5 functionality from a package that is 93% smaller than traditional certified transponders. All functionality is integrated into a single unit applicable to both unmanned and manned aircraft. Features include:
- World’s first full certification to DoD AIMS 17-1000 Mark XIIB
- Compliant with STANAG 4193 NATO IFF
- Military Modes 1, 2, 3, 5 (Levels 1 & 2), upgradeable to Level 2-B Out
- Crypto compatibility per AIMS 04-900(A), Option B (KIV-77, SIT2010)
- Civil Modes A, C, S per RTCA/DO-181E
- Integrated ADS-B In per RTCA/DO-260B
- ADS-B Out per RTCA/DO-260B
- Full power per AIMS 17-1000
- Native antenna diversity for full visibility by space-based and ground-based ADS-B systems, configurable for single antenna installations
- Flexible I/O: Ethernet, RS-422, RS-232
- 93% smaller than competitive products: 3.4″ H x 2.5″ W x 1.0″ D (86 x 64 x 25 mm)
- Weight: 6.7 oz. (190g)
- Environmental screening: RTCA DO-160G, MIL-STD-461F, MIL-STD-810G
- Included command and control software
- ADS-B In situational awareness data visualization software available
- Test and integration kits including test box and KIV emulator also available.
Over the past year, Sagetech has successfully performed live demonstrations of the MX12B interoperating with multiple crypto computers at the US Navy IMPAX 2020 event, for the U.S Army, and for major OEM military UAS customers. With the new certification issued last week, the company has already delivered certified MX12B units to numerous customers to fulfill backlog purchase orders for new and ongoing programmes.
“From a technology perspective, we’ve used our military program experience and microelectronics expertise to take a traditional Mode 5 IFF transponder and condense it into a package that is nine times smaller, six times lighter, and certified to a higher level than the next smallest certified Mode 5 IFF transponder,” said Matthew Hamilton, CTO of Sagetech. “After months of rigorous testing to verify compliance to the full AIMS 17-1000 specification, harsh MIL-STD environmental testing, and data analysis by our team of engineers, we are pleased to have certified to the complete set of Mode 5 IFF requirements. Our new MX12B is suitable for any fixed- or rotary-wing unmanned or manned aircraft.”
For multi-mission UAVs, the MX12B preserves avionics designs across fleets through easy interchangeability with a civil version of the transponder, Sagetech’s MXS. The MX12B represents the next-generation of military certified transponders from Sagetech. Previously, Sagetech had certified its XPC AIMS Mode A/C transponder, now in service for more than a decade.
According to Tom Furey, CEO of Sagetech Avionics. “The MX12B combines Mode 5 IFF functionality with ADS-B situational awareness in a tiny SWaP unit that is fast and easy to integrate.”
Sagetech Avionics MX12B micro Mode 5 Identify Friend or Foe (IFF) transponder
For more information visit: