The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) locates unwanted Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) in the National Airspace System (NAS) using both ground and manned aviation assets. This contract will demonstrate and research operationalization of RFI locating using commercial unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) services.
The FAA is looking for a contractor who can demonstrate RFI locating services for a wide number of frequencies. Demonstration shall be Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) operations below 400’ AGL. Contractor will:
- Provide the source interference for all frequencies. For GPS L1, L2, and L5, the contractor may conducted demonstration on an adjacent L-Band frequency. Contractor is responsible for frequency authorizations to broadcast source interference for these demonstrations.
- Contact FAA Flight Program Operations Service Center prior to each UAS operation to brief the planned operation.
- Discern if source interference is not present or provide bearing to the source interference.
- Demonstrate capability to locate interference sources at power levels capable of interfering with the communication and navigation services listed. Triangulation from multiple UAS operating locations is an acceptable method of RFI location.
- Demonstrate capability to loiter for at least 30 minutes and be airborne at least 6 hours within a 12 hour period. Tethering is acceptable.
- Collect additional source data helpful for identifying the source (e.g. modulation type, bandwidth, demodulated voice or data).
- Provide a demonstration report to include lessons learned and CONOPS for commercial UAS services to provide RFI locating.
Tender number: 6973GH21R00167
Deadline: 30 July 2021
Responsible organisation: US Department of Transportation/ Federal Aviation Administration
For more information