The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) invites applicants for the role of Emerging Policy Specialist to join a progressive, multi-disciplinary team ensuring that policy is developed in line with industry technological and methodological advancements. The authority is addressing some of the most technically exciting, controversial and pressing issues in aviation today and into the future. These topics range from the integration of hybrid electric vehicles into UK Airspace to the delivery of carbon Net Zero and beyond. To this end, the CAA is building a progressive, multi-disciplinary team and as part of this we are looking to hire up to ten Emerging Policy Specialists.
Acting as a consultant, the successful candidate will partner with external customers and internal policy experts to deliver policy in line with the policy development process. They will be tasked with quickly developing and assimilating knowledge and expertise to ensure that the policy we are creating is fit for purpose, enables industry development and prioritises the safety of the public.
- It would be highly desirable to have an understanding and interest in the innovation and technology trends that will shape the future of aviation, such as:
- artificial intelligence, machine learning, and autonomy
- software engineering
- systems engineering
- net zero propulsion, including hydrogen, electrification, and battery technologies
- An understanding or background of working within a regulate environment either within an aviation specialism (such as airspace, airworthiness, air traffic management, flight operations, UAS, aviation security, or consumer protection) or another safety critical industry is desirable.
- Possess a flexible and adaptable approach with evidence of working in highly dynamic and changing environments.
- Proven expertise in applying a risk-based and principles-led approach in an ambiguous environment where there are currently no standards or regulations and where priorities can change.
- A curious and quick learner, able to seek out information to advise the project and generate new insights.
- An effective written and verbal communication style with experience in management of relationships with industry and internal stakeholders.
Closing date: 25 January 2023
Application details here
For more information visit: