The Complete Air Traffic System (CATS) Global Council, a forum of industry bodies, believes that a shared blueprint and joint action are vital to make sure that future skies are efficient, clean and safe and can generate global economic prosperity and social welfare.
According to a Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation press release:
“Imagine the airspace of 2045 – maximised to its fullest potential as a global resource; a unified, optimised, sustainable and safe environment where people and goods move effortlessly in a mix of manned and unmanned vehicles; a smart and connected network that is resilient and scalable; a healthy and competitive marketplace with a proud culture of innovation and agility; an industry that is thriving with a new generation of highly skilled talent.
“Over the next two decades, extensive and collective changes must be made to make this vision a reality. The following future-facing features are critical to achieve the fully integrated and harmonised airspace system the industry aspires to:
- Design and delivery of services that are truly user-centric so they can be equitable, scalable and resilient
- Capitalising on advances in information management, automated technology, digitisation, data-based services and connectivity for new, improved and safe services and increased productivity and growth
- Developments in hybrid technology, cleaner fuels, electrification, carbon capture, flight path optimisation and airspace design to improve the environmental sustainability of the industry and help countries achieve their climate targets
- Digitisation of the infrastructure of cities to allow aviation operators to create interconnected transport networks, including air taxis and drones
- Airspace to be reconfigured with a more flexible and dynamic cross-border service provision
- Investment in learning and development to make aviation accessible to a more diverse range of highly skilled talent
Simon Hocquard, Director General, The Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation (CANSO) said: “We need to drive the next era of aviation in which the speed of change and rate of innovation will be faster than they have been for decades. Vision 2045 allows us to explore, imagine and shape a blueprint for how our global skies can innovate and interoperate safely in the future.
“We have an opportunity to build a digital and automated regional transport network which is highly connective, safe, seamless and sustainable and that works for everyone. The future skyscape is just on the horizon. By working together, our vision of what is possible can and must become a reality.”